The School of Nursing and Midwifery is very proud of its extensive range of postgraduate programmes which attracts graduates from Ireland and abroad. TCD seeks to be a liberal environment where independence of thought is highly valued and where staff and students are nurtured as individuals and are encouraged to achieve their full potential. We strongly support the principle of equal access, and encourage all students and staff to achieve their full potential within an open, liberal and facilitative environment.
The School of Nursing and Midwifery seeks to make a major contribution to evidence based, high quality health care in Ireland and abroad through excellence in the provision of teaching and in the conduct of world-class research. The ethos of the School is one that sees the patient/client as the primary focus. We aim to provide leadership in multi-professional healthcare research, education and practice at local, national and international levels through interdisciplinary input to the design, development and delivery of the courses by a variety of schools within Trinity college and by key specialist professionals.
The school has become established as the largest school of Nursing and Midwifery in the country, with the highest numbers of undergraduate and research students. We offer a range of postgraduate programmes and potential study pathways relevant to the needs of healthcare professionals' career progression. The School of Nursing and Midwifery provides a rich environment for postgraduate students with staff from a range of professional and disciplinary backgrounds. Those staff comprise energetic and excellent health science lecturers/researchers with established research strengths in the prevention and management of chronic illness, woman and child health, and promoting health equality for marginalised groups. Trinity College Dublin offers a wide variety of student resources, including world class library facilities, a range of student supports and a wealth of student societies.
How to apply for a Postgraduate course
There is an online application system in place for all of our postgraduate courses. Please click into the course of your choice below and the course page will include a link to the online application system.
Professional Certificate Courses
Higher Diploma Courses
Postgraduate Certificate programmes
- Online Postgraduate Certificate in Dementia (Interdisciplinary) (NFQ level 9)
Taught Masters / Postgraduate Diploma programmes
- M.Sc. / P.Grad. Dip.in Clinical Health Sciences Education
- M.Sc. / P.Grad. Dip./P.Grad.Cert. in Dementia
- M.Sc. / P/Grad. Dip. / P.Grad.Cert.* in Mental Health
- M.Sc. / P.Grad.Dip. /P.Grad.Cert.* in Mental Health (Psychosocial Interventions strand)
- M.Sc. / P.Grad. Dip. /P.Grad.Cert.* in Mental Health (Child, Adolescent and Family strand)
- M.Sc. / P.Grad. Dip. in Palliative Care
- M.Sc. / P.Grad. Dip. in Gerontological Nursing
- M.Sc. / P.Grad. Dip. in Nursing
- M.Sc. / P/Grad. Dip. in Nursing - Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP) in Emergency Nursing including Nurse Prescribing Certificate
- Professional Certificate in Nurse/Midwife Prescribing of Medicinal Products (NFQ level 8)
- MSc in Nursing - Child Health and Wellbeing
- M.Sc. / P.Grad. Dip in Specialist Nursing in the following specialisms:
Research Degrees and Postdoctoral Fellowships
The School of Nursing and Midwifery conducts and supervises research within a wide range of areas and welcomes applications from researchers who wish to pursue research degrees and post doctoral fellowships. Please use the research matrix and organisation overview to familiarise yourself with the research strengths of the School. The Research team would love to hear from you if
- you have any comments or questions about current reseach activities
- you have a research topic that you do not see included on these pages
- you would like to discuss the possibiilteis open to you to become involved in research
Note: The details outlined in this page are subject to change. *The .Grad.Cert. is subject to approval by the University Council. The School of Nursing and Midwifery reserve the right to amend the contents of pages to reflect any curriculum and course management changes. The University of Dublin, Trinity College is not bound by errors in or omissions from this course information document.